Cobb Salad is quite possibly the quintessential American salad, and I absolutely love it. Arguably it stretches the definition of a salad somewhat, but nonetheless it is so incredibly tasty and filling. It's the perfect compromise between a salad and some truly lip-smacking comfort food. To those who have never eaten it, I implore you to try it. You'll often find Cobb Salad with a buttermilk and blue cheese dressing, but I prefer a slightly lighter and fresher dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, mustard and cider vinegar to counteract the rich and salty bacon, cheese, egg, chicken combo.
- 10 rashers of streaky bacon, cooked.
- 1 Romaine Lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 Iceberg Lettuce. Core cut out, and roughly shredded.
- 3 ripe tomatoes, (deseeded if you have the patience).
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled.
- 150g Blue Cheese.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, grilled.
- 2 Avocados, peeled and pitted.
- Dice and chop everything into about 1.5cm/half inch cubes.
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or finely grated.
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 heaped teaspoons of dijon mustard
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Good pinch of sugar (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- Small bunch of chives, finely sliced to garnish
- Take an empty and clean jar (or use a bowl and spoon), place all the dressing ingredients into said jar and shake for about 30 secs, obviously having first put the lid on. The result should be a smooth golden looking dressing.
- Set jar aside.
Method for the salad.
- First find yourself a suitably large bowl, plate, or platter and dump the shredded lettuce on/in it.
- Pour half of your dressing over the lettuce and toss well.
- If you're serving this for dinner, friends, prospective in-laws, or just want it to look nice, then this is the point at which you neatly arrange the prepared avocado, bacon, blue cheese, chicken, eggs, and tomatoes in neat rows.
- Alternatively you just chuck the prepared avocado, bacon, blue cheese, chicken, eggs and tomatoes in with the lettuce.
- Drizzle remaining dressing over the salad. Sprinkle the finely sliced chives over the salad. Grind a little salt, a little pepper, and enjoy.